Monday, May 5, 2008

ALttP Commercial Interview - 神々のトライフォース CM インタビュー

This is something I did back in 2006 for ZeldaPower to tie into the A Link to the Past Commercial article. Some of the information was included in the article, but the full interview was not. This is only a portion of the interview which covers other work by Yoshiaki Kuratsune, included the Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade commercial. These interviews are also part of a series on 1101. I am unsure of the publishing date.

「ZeldaPower」のために神々のトライフォースCMについて英文を作ってた時、これを英訳した。これはオリジナルインタビューのーずつだけです。この1101のインタビューは「ファイアーエムブレム〜封印の剣〜」とゼルダの伝説とスパーメトロイドとファミコンワォーズのCMの情報もある。

Original 1101 article here.
オリジナル英文
   

Chapter 25, part 3
Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade
Who made this commercial?
Yoshiaki Kuratsune Interview Part 3
"Don't tell your mother!"

Profile
-Name: Yoshiaki Kuratsune
-Parodied the North American Royal Marine's exercise scenery
-Creative director for Nintendo's many memorable commercials, appointed Schadarapaa for the Legend of Zelda's ad music
-Currently attached to Nintendo's planning department
-A by-no-means-forward enigmatic personality.

Link's a girl!

A little while after the Fire Emblem commercial (1990) was made, the first in a trilogy of songs, we asked the rap group Schadarapaa to do the music for 1991's Legend of Zelda ad. Shall we take a look?

Video link (Youtube)

出る出る、ゼルダの伝説
出る出る出る出るついに出る
ゴージャス!今度の冒険
リアル!君もすぐに体験
はっと行き飲む謎解きアクション
なるほど!スーパーファミコン

危ない!出た!
行け!リンク!

知らず知らずの真剣勝負
今宵もゼルダは最高潮
スーパーファミコンゼルダの伝説
出る出る出る出るついに出る!

It's coming coming, the Legend of Zelda
It's coming coming coming coming finally coming!
Gorgeous, this adventure!
Real, you too will soon experience it
Puzzle action that will have you gasping
(I see!) Super Famicom!

Watch out! It's here!
Go! Link!

You'll be unconsciously giving it your all
Zelda's pinnacle is tonight!
The Legend of Zelda for Super Famicom
It's coming coming coming coming finally coming!

Did you know that Link was played by a girl? We were looking for a female high school student in the audition, you see. Though the Legend of Zelda's main character, Link, is male, we thought that a boyish girl would be better than a real boy. The only people left at the end of the audition were this girl and the then-unknown Tomoya Nagase, now a vocalist in the popular band TOKIO. Link's actress was not a professional after all, but at the time of the commercial's airing, there was a flood of enquiries and popularity.

We asked Schadarapaa to do the music for us. We gave them keywords to incorporate, but they basically created it themselves. We were also Nintendo fans, and remember it as going very smoothly. Making a game commercial with dance and rap is another technique of expressing something, but it basically follows the game's concept. The filming of the Legend of Zelda was also unusual for the time, I think. By expressing the commercials like this, I believe we also were able to make the games more attractive to adults. If the product has personality, then the commercial will definitely have personality, don't you think? It's the product that's the foundation, you see.

7 comments:

Kiddo May 5, 2008 at 7:24 PM  

The original article seems to bring up quite a bit more than the Zelda ad?

The Fire Emblem: Binding Blade ad is similar in style to the Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragons and the Blade of Light ad, down to the point where the only major differences are the outfits of the actors. I was hoping to see what was said about that.

Does the "parody" refer to the Famicom Wars ads shown as pictures on the site?

GlitterBerri May 5, 2008 at 10:08 PM  

Like I said in the intro, Kiddo, "This is only a portion of the interview which covers other work by Yoshiaki Kuratsune, included the Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade commercial." =)

I only did the Zelda portion because that was the only part that was relevant at the time and caught my interest. I'll think about translating the rest.

Christopher Smith, Staff Reporter May 6, 2008 at 1:31 AM  

Your translations resemble the ramblings of a chuu-kyuu japanese student buried in her electronic dictionary.

I didnt even know I had an account on this.

Robert Seddon May 6, 2008 at 3:07 AM  

*Shivers at a sudden chill breeze; flings open the shutters to admit the warmer radiance of day*

I wonder whether you have some counterpart somewhere translating this monstrosity into Japanese...

Christopher Smith, Staff Reporter May 6, 2008 at 4:09 AM  

She still hasn't credited me, but I did a fair amount of translating for that movie.

If anybody could dig up a script for that I could translate it.

Anyway, seriously, I'll help you fix your site. Just stop calling me elitist lol.

GlitterBerri May 6, 2008 at 11:46 AM  

Todd, I wouldn't call you elitist if you weren't like this about everything on Earth, not just my old translations. =P You complain about everything.

I did both the ones you read in 2006, soon after I started out, as I said in both their introductions. Go read

http://berriblue.blogspot.com/2008/
04/information-on-submitting-transl
ations.html

and

http://berriblue.blogspot.com/2008/
04/about-me.html

for a short history and disclaimers.

Assuming you're talking about the ALttP commercial movie, I've said before, tell me what you did and I'll credit you for it.

Thanks, but this site is a personal blog. Like I wrote, "My Japanese is getting better all the time, so if you're reading my earlier work you'll no doubt come across a couple errors! If I've messed up majorly (ie. you totally can't understand what I was saying/I completely mistranslated something), please let me know by commenting on the post in question." But otherwise, I'm good.
Start your own, mb?

GlitterBerri May 6, 2008 at 11:47 AM  

Robert, terrifying. =) Zelda does have a history of rather awful commercials.. I think it comes of having the bulk of your series debut in the 90's.

Content © 2006 - 2009 GlitterBerri except where otherwise stated. For more information or permission to repost contact berriblog@gmail.com.